Thursday, April 25, 2013

Bread & Wine: A Review


The complete title of this book is Bread & Wine: Finding Community & Life Around the Table.  I was very excited to read this book because I am kind of a wanna-be foodie.  I love trying new recipes but sometimes I can't even tell you how to pronounce the ingredient I am using.  This book is a combination of short stories and recipes.  This author talks about the power of food.  In a society that attempts to tell us that being in the kitchen is a form of oppression this book is a fresh perspective.  Ms. Niequist shows how gathering around the dinner table can be a wonderful balm to a frazzled life.  The recipes range from salad dressing to chicken enchiladas and flour less chocolate brownies to risotto.

This book really shows the need for us to revive the tradition of having people over for dinner on Sunday (or any day of the week).  My mom is such a wonderful example of a person who invites people over to her house for a meal continually.  Growing up I can remember many holiday meals at her house where people who didn't have family close by would gather at her table.  At the time I didn't understand how special it is to both the one cooking and the one at the table.  I moved 1200 miles from my family 4 years ago.  I can attest to how wonderful it is to be included by other families during a holiday meal.  The fellowship at the table is unforgettable and priceless.


I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves to cook.  I'll be buying several copies of this book to give to friends & family.  I was given this book by the publisher in exchange for this review.  All opinions are my own.

You can purchase this book at christianbook.com with this link http://www.christianbook.com/bread-finding-community-life-around-table/shauna-niequist/9780310328179/pd/328179?item_code=WW&netp_id=1021919&event=ESRCG&view=details

No comments:

Post a Comment